An growing number of PlayStation four customers have complained about an difficulty wherein the PS4 device turns off immediately after it’s grew to become on – a.Ok.A Blue Light of death. With this problem, the console mild blinks red or blue – a signal that your console will quickly be shutting down abruptly. Some different customers have skilled also the abrupt shutting down of the device all through gameplay.
There are more than one motives liable for this difficulty. Firstly, it could be from your electricity connection or ports. A defective tough drive can also be the purpose for the sudden shutdown of your console. Software issues aren’t new – this makes it very possibly for a bug or issues within the machine software program to cause the PlayStation four to turn off by means of itself. Another major reason may be a fault from the Accelerated Processing Unit (APU), which includes the CPU and the GPU. The APU trouble especially occurs due to the fact a few units were poorly soldered. The APU cannot be repaired or replaced. This is due to the fact APU devices are made uniquely for every PS4 console and can’t be without problems determined on the market.
This guide will show you various ways you can troubleshoot your PlayStation 4 to solve the sudden shutdown issue. These fixes basically include checking the power supply, hard disk and utilizing the safe mode as suggested by Sony.
Checking the Power Connection
- Turn off the PS4 completely by pressing the power button for at least 7 seconds – it will beep twice to indicate it’s been completely turned off.
- Disconnect the power cable of the console from your electrical outlet.
- Check the power words and all the other cords connected to see if there is anything unusual going on. If you have any spares, you can replace your cables to verify if the problem is indeed from the power connection. You can look into the various ports to see if there’s anything clogged in there.
Checking the Hard Drive
This process consists of taking apart the device, so you’ll want to be extra cautious with this step.
- Turn off the PS4 completely by pressing the power button for at least 7 seconds – two beeps indicate it’s been completely turned off.
- Disconnect the power cable from the electrical outlet and the cable. Remove any other cable connected to the console.
- Slide the Hard Disk Drive bay cover (the shiny part) out and away from the system to remove it.
- Check the hard drive to make sure it’s properly seated and properly screwed to the system. If you wish to change it, take of the screw and swap the hard disk with a new one. Remember you’ll need to install a new system software to the new hard disk.
Updating the System in Safe Mode
Probably a bad update could be the cause of your problem. Installing a zero-day or day-one update can solve your problem.
- Get a USB stick with at least 400 MB free space. The USB must be wiped and then create a folder called PS4 inside which you’ll create another folder called UPDATE.
- Download the latest PS4 update from here and copy it over to the UPDATE folder on your flash drive.
- Turn off the console complete, and then connect the USB stick to the PS4 through one of the forward-facing USB ports.
- Hold the power button for at least 7 seconds, at this point the system will boot into Safe Mode.
- In Safe Mode, select the third option which is “Update System Software” and you’ll be able to follow the directions with ease from there.
Preventing the APU Problem
It’s very probable the motive of the Blue Light of Death isn’t due to any of the fixes described above. As I stated in advance, the Accelerated Processing Unit of some PS4 consoles has now not been well soldered to the motherboard. This can’t be fixed and the most effective element that can be finished is to get a replacement unit from Sony. However, the best practical cause the APU would come off the motherboard is while there’s an excessive amount of warmth. Here are a few hints to save you the APU from coming off the motherboard.
- Make sure your console is well ventilated. Remove any objects blocking the air vents of the PS4.
- Provide extra cooling with a standing fan or an air conditioner at all times.
- Avoid prolonged use of the console. Put it to sleep after hours of excessive use.
Checking Power Issues
Another possible cause why your PS4 might be turning off is because of inadequate power or issues with the power management. We came across numerous cases where because of a lot of other appliances connected to the same power outlet as the PS4, the PS4 was not getting its power requirements completed.
Try connecting the PS4 to a sole outlet where no other appliance is connected and then launch it. If this fixes the problem, consider isolating the power of PS4 with other appliances.
There may additionally be a case in which the strength itself isn’t consistent in your own home. Occasional electricity surges might disrupt the electricity cycle of the PS4 and motive it to close. Here in this situation, strive connecting the console in any other home and see if the difficulty takes place there. If it doesn’t, don’t forget getting your energy checked.
Note: Another case where your PS4 might turn off is when another appliance or light switch gets turned on. This might cause a temporary influx which causes the PS4 to shut down.
Checking Multiple Connectors
Multi-connectors are becoming increasingly common in recent times. These allow the person to attach the PS4 in conjunction with different modules which additionally require an HDMI port. If there is any hobby from the opposite module while the PS4 is still strolling, it’d purpose it to turn off.
Here on this answer, attempt plugging the PS4 immediately in preference to the use of connectors and spot if the problem is resolved. Also strive separating the PS4 and the display/TV.
If you’ve got related a USB cable at the front-port, recollect eliminating it. Sometimes, if the internal connectivity of the PS4 isn’t always true, any pastime from the port can purpose the console to shut down.
Switching to Cable Internet
Wi-Fi modules are known to cause fluctuations power in consoles as well as computers. If there is some short circuitry in the module, it will cause an influx and force the PS4 to shut down for good. Here in this scenario, consider switching to cable internet.
There is a cable power present at the back of your PS4. If you don’t have a cable internet access, you can easily use a LAN cable to connect your router to your PS4. If the PS4 runs steadily in the LAN internet, avoid using the Wi-Fi connection.
Note: You can also disable your Internet completely to test this solution.
Checking for Hardware Problems
If not one of the above workarounds be just right for you, recall getting your PS4 checked for hardware troubles. There is probably numerous possibilities which includes a defecting PSU unit or your PS4 overheating.
There are also times of humans reporting the console getting shut down on every occasion their PS4 gets heated up (probable because of faulty joints inside the gadget). There is also an issue of the overheating inflicting the thermal on-off switch to get prompted.
It is recommended that you do now not strive at checking for hardware issues your self; get it to a close to Sony provider center.